Law on the right to use Saami in relations with public administration
Territory of enforcement of the law
1. The present law will be enforced in those relations with the authorities of the state, local or regional administration in a geographical territory of activities which partially or entirelly covers the territory of administration for the Saami language.
The territory for the administration for the Saami language comprises the tows of Arjeplog, Gällivare, Jokkmokk and Kiruna.
This law will also be applied to provintial courts, courts of first instance, dwelling tribunals, tribunals for the environment and maritime rights, in the domains partially or entirely covered by the territory for the administration for the Saami language.
The right to use Saami in relations with the authorities of the administration
2. An individual has the right to use the Saami language in verbal and written contacts with an authority of the administration, in those cases concerning the exercise of the authority towards the individual, as long as the case is related to the territory of the adminstration.
In case the individual makes use of the language in any of these cases, the authorities are obliged to answer in Saami. Written replies must contain information in Saami and the resolution may be orally translated, if requested by the individual. Authorities must intend to deal with Saami-speakers in Saami.
3. The authorities of the administration must establish a schedule for visits and phone calls in Saami.
The right to use Saami at courts
4. The Saami language may be used during the procedures of the trial, as long as the case is related to the territory of the adminstration. This right is also applied to the bringing of actions corresponding to the courts where the decision has been submitted.
5. According to section 4, the right to use the Saami language also includes the right to deliver documentation related to the case, as well as the right to speak in Saami in oral negotiations before the tribunal. The tribunal will have to undertake the translation into Swedish, if necessary.
6. Those whose will is to use the Saami language during the procedures of a case in a court, will have to previously request for it, according to section 4. If this is not so, the request may be denied.
A request for the use of Saami may be denied in those cases in which there is an obvious anappropriate purpose.
7. In case the interested part makes use of the Saami language, he/she will also have to make use of an interpreter, according to the provisions corresponding to chapter 5, sections 6-8, and chapter 33, section 9 of the civil code, and tosections 50-52 of the Act for the procedures of administration.
The Saami language in nursery schools and geriatrics
8. Those towns inside the administration offering vacancies in nursery scholls or geriatric activities must grant the possibility to get one of them in a centre in which Saami is the language partially or entirely used in the activity, according to chapter 2, sections 1 and 7 of the Act of school activities.
9. Towns inside the administration will have to undertake the possibility to be attended by staff with a proficient command of Saami for those who request for it in the services corresponding to the field of geriaitrics.
10. In special cases, the goverment will be able to decree the exemption of the implementation of section 2 for certain government authorities. This will likewise be valid for delegates of the General Council and township delegates, with the previous athorization from the government.
This law will be enforced on April 1, 2000. It will be applied to those cases in concerned tribunals after its enforcement.